Friday, March 8, 2013

Solitary Walk: The National Art Gallery

08 March 2013
Pictures taken on: 06 March 2013


I promised myself another solitary photowalk after my deliberations, but then there aren't a lot of areas in Metro Manila where I can't take pictures with a DSLR alone without getting mugged or stealthily robbed (or at least feeling like it). So I thought of cancelling the solitary thing and just taking someone with me. 

Then the Anthropology professor assigned us to go to the National Museum's exhibit on Baybayin, which is the Philippine's ancient script.

So I decided to go on with the solitary walk in the Museum of the Filipino people. But I've already been there.

Once I got to the museum, I saw the building right next to it, which is the National Art Gallery. I realized I've never been there.

So before doing my extra credit Anthro homework, I went to the National Art Gallery first.

I'm super compressing this post because the museum is so big and there's just so much to see. I spent a few hours inside and I was very hungry once I got out.

Ah, Neocolonialism. You so pretty.
Since the building used to house the country's Senate, it was super fancy inside. It made me think of other public buildings in the country, where fanciness isn't exactly a priority. What if it was?


The lobby
The first gallery you go to in the National Art Gallery only contains two enormous paintings. The Spolarium is one of them.


For the record, I did not know how big the Spolarium is. I see it is books and the Internet, but I've never been personally in front of it.

I spent a long time staring at it, wondering how Juan Luna managed to paint it, how long it took, how he planned it, etc. I came to the conclusion that without the existence of modern technology, this guy had a lot of time in his hands.

The other painting was the Assasination of Gov. Bustamante and his Son.

Discreetly took a picture of this man taking a picture.
 I also spent some time staring at this painting. I know Gov. B is probably the guy being dragged away. I had to look for his son, and realized that he was being mobbed.

I got out of the gallery after approximately 20 minutes of staring and I didn't know there were other galleries in the first floor (because I'm bobo and I don't read signs), so I went ahead to the second floor.

with another fancy lobby with a fancy skylight.
And I came across this.

oooooooh...
The former Senate Hall was marvelous, and I was the only person there.

I made a lot of noises (because echo) and if there are security cameras, I'd probably be seen making a fool out of myself, but let's not get into that.

I also stepped on the podium and turned the nonexistent mic on.





I thought it was a shame that the Senate had to be moved to a less attractive venue. But considering the crap called the present Senate of the Philippines, they don't deserve it.

Moving on...

I went to straight to the third floor and was greeted by yet another fancy lobby.


Then a guard approached me telling me that there was nothing else but offices on the third floor. So I thought what? Is that it? So I went back down the second floor and realized there were signs leading to galleries. Haha.

I didn't keep track of the Gallery numbers and names because as I've said, I don't read the effing signs.

The National Art Gallery just had major renovation and  restoration and there were still areas that are off-limits. Even then, I still spent hours roaming around.

This gallery had a chatty guard.






HR Ocampo gave away some of his abstracts and they somehow ended up in the National Museum

"To Mervyn Samson - who is not afraid to live his own life" - makes me wonder who Mervyn Samson is.
 Manansala has the most diverse collection on display.

Bayanihan

Maria Clara with photobombing Damaso
Then I visited another Juan Luna masterpiece, Parisian Life



 I didn't stare at it too much because the guard was extra chatty. It was smaller than I thought and the prostitute does look like she's being strangled

I wasted some time getting lost. I kept coming back to the same galleries. It's not the museum's fault, as they have friendly guards and signs. As I've said, I just don't read the signs. The hallways and corridors are still being renovated, so they all look the same.


There's an ongoing Japanese exhibit in the museum called "Tohoku". I took a picture right before a guard approached me asking me to stop because it was a private collection. Sorry.


I came across a dark room with a sperm whale skeleton in it (along with other skeletons). I think this is going to be transferred to the Museum of Natural History, which is still being made as I write this.

How did it get here by the way?
Some ancient illustrations of native plants by Spanish missionaries. I can imagine them examining a mango, as they've never seen one before. They were probably fascinated with the Balimbing too.
I went down to the first floor and found more galleries.

Elevated walls and legs
Introduction of the First Christian Image by Botong Francisco
First Mass(?) by Botong Francisco. I should really take down names next time.
Then I stumbled upon some old friends.

The Progress of Medicine by Botong Francisco
 These paintings used to hang in the main lobby of the Philippine General Hospital, and was brought to the museum for restoration and a brief visit. I was confined in PGH several times when I was a kid, and I have a love for the hospital despite the air of despair and stress it contains.

As a kid stuck on a wheelchair, I would stare at these paintings as I waited for my parents in the lobby. They were grimy and dirty due to the pollution and natural ventilation, but I found them beautiful. A few years later, I wasn't surprised to find out that a National Artist painted them.

I'm glad that the paintings are getting much needed repairs. Seeing them cleaner and brighter makes me happy.

This one with the Babaylan is my favorite.
I entered this green room, which startled me. I rarely encounter exhibition rooms with green walls.
I finally read the sign outside stating that the room held artworks depicting images of the Philippines during World War II. Yes, it was a depressing room.


A Plea for Freedom From Fear by Fermin Gomez
Rape and Massacre in Ermita by Diosdado Lorenzo
As a young person who has no recollection of war, this room is a must-visit. I have a lot of friends who are in love with all things Japanese. It wouldn't be fair to judge Japan as a country based on the writings of the past. But the Japanese government's move to revise Asian textbooks to tone down the cruelties the Japanese military made during WWII leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Anyway, this green room was very enlightening.
I left it to go to the next gallery, which contains Romanticist paintings.



Study of a family portrait by Fernando Amorsolo
If I become famous, would my scratch paper be preserved in museums as well?

There was another gallery solely dedicated to Jose Rizal.


El Ermitano by Jose Rizal, plaster of paris.
A Mother's Revenge by Jose Rizal, plaster of paris

I know that Rizal dabbled in sculpture. It makes me wonder whether his works have some deeper meaning, or was he just playing around.

Oh hey! Another green room!


I don't know the title, but it's by Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo

Gov. Blanco and his Troops by Felix Martinez

No idea whose this is. Sorry.

Then after the green-ness, there was an orange room filled with sculptures.


I guess they made the room orange to make the sculptures more lively... because that's not creepy at all.

Go lang Ate. Kaya mo yan.
Spot Rizal's mother!
 There's another orange room next to the sculpture room bearing religious artwork.

Who doesn't love an ostentatious retablo?
There's a separate room with a collection of paintings by Esteban Villanueva narrating the Basi Revolt, which is an underrated time in Philippine history. Unfortunately, they were "scanning" when I was visiting. I don't know what that means, but it looks like this.


After this gallery, I went back to the Spolarium for one last look. Then I walked to the Museum of the Filipino People to finally do my homework.

My first time in the National Art Gallery was very enlightening. It makes me think, not just of the past written in textbooks, but also the individual pasts of the artists that leave us remnants of the world they lived in. Whether the subject matter is of love or war or anguish or joy; whether the piece is commissioned or given as a gift or just made for the artist's pleasure, the works of these Filipino artists never fail to impress me. I am thankful that places like the National Art Gallery and other public museums are there for the public to visit.

Hence I end this post with the first ever Jeje vanity pic, young Juan Luna's self-portrait. :)




3 comments:

  1. Wow, stunning photos! The last time I went to the National Museum was in 2011. http://www.bottledbrain.com/2011/09/week-39-national-museum.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuya! The entrace fee for students went up since then. It's already 50Php. And I believe they made a lot of changes, so it's worth visiting again. :)

      Delete