Saturday, December 22, 2012

Thoughts on the Church... and crying babies

22 December 2012

We woke up early today... very early. Our grandparents woke us up at 3:30AM so we could go to simbang gabi. I don't actually go to those masses because a. I'm too lazy, b. I would just fall asleep in the middle and embarrass myself and my family and, c. If ever I do go to simbang gabi, I admit I'd probably do it for the wish thing, which is totally the wrongest reason to go to any holy celebration. 

But today, I went with the family to celebrate mass because it is my uncle's 22nd year as a Catholic priest.

My uncle (standing) with some of the guests from the church.

My grandparents hosted breakfast at their house (which is a few blocks away) right after. When my grandmother told me us to expect a few people (tayo-tayo lang naman), she meant a lot of people. 

People are surprised when they find out that I have an uncle who belongs to the clergy. I don't know what they expect. Maybe they thought that I would be more... pious if I had an uncle-priest.

But then I supported the RH bill, and I celebrated with the women of the nation when it was passed. I disagreed with a lot of priests and bishops when they made their "pro-life" stances, and I hated the feeling I get when I had to listen to the overbearing sermons of priests of their thoughts on divorce, abortion, sex, and sexuality. It infuriates me when the church says "no" without consulting the facts first, and without looking at the consequences.

Nonetheless, I still go to mass because of my uncle-priest, who answered my questions on life and death when I was younger after my pet rabbit died, who would give me communion on those days when I couldn't go to mass, who answered my question "why me?" when I had to go through surgery and physical therapy.

Happy Anniversary, Tito!

..........................

Anyway, here are some other pictures of what happened after the breakfast. We all had sugar rush and we crashed after the guests were gone. Some of us slept until 5pm. :)

At last, a picture of myself!


Bricks

Topy

Matthew and Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment