Sunday, December 2, 2012

Anti-criticism


So I was reading a story in Wattpad, and I came upon a story that had a good description, so I checked it out.

It started off well, but in the middle it went bleh. Being a good person that I am, I continued reading until I couldn't take it anymore. So I commented on the lack of actual plot, and the author's need to inject drama into everything. The protagonist did not have an ounce of common sense. Yeah sure, the bida is only 18, but I refuse to accept that teenagers nowadays lack basic logic.

I think the author was appalled by my comment. I can't let you judge if my comment was too harsh because surprise, surprise! She deleted it.


I used to write stories too. Some are even published in some dark corner of the internet. Reading comments has been an interesting experience, because you can get a glimpse of the people behind those comments.

The criticisms are the ones I looked forward to, especially the good ones. Reading them did trample on my ego a bit, but those comments made me see the flaws of my writing that I never thought were there. Some of them can get very nitpicky about spelling and grammar. A lot of online writers have even stated in their profiles that they knew they made mistakes, so can everybody please stop pointing out their wrong spelling and grammar?

This makes me sad. The internet is not the internet without its freedom to express. That freedom can be harnessed in a good way only if its users can say what they feel as well as LISTEN to what other feel about what they say. 

The author of the story did not have to delete the comment. She could have just said her piece and let it go. I think she took it personally because she actually blocked me from commenting further. 

I feel bad for her because I think I'm one of the very few who actually attempted to genuinely critique her story (the rest of the comments were all  "SHE'S STUPID!!!!" and "OMG I super love this story :)))))). I feel like her readers are composed of Western jejemons. So when she gets one substantial comment, she takes it personally.

Sigh. The things I do...

2 comments:

  1. Seems like she's not fully exposed to the world of constructive criticisms.Let her be, sooner or later she'll realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Choi said, criticizing one's work doesn't mean u hate it, it just shows how u appreciate his/her work that u wanted to make it better. LOL. Children.

    ReplyDelete