Friday, October 19, 2012

Attempt: Watercolor Typography

19 October 2012

I promised myself I would try out using watercolors this sembreak. I wanted to take a break from acrylics and color pencils and try something new for a change.

But alas, I totally suck at watercolors. The tutorials I looked at made sense while I was watching/reading them, but watercolor is a different monster when tried out. It's hard to control and mix. I need more practice (and more patience) if I want to make a decent painting.

In the end, I ended up making these. I was inspired by these Notes to Self posts, and I wanted to make something "successful" at least.


This is a reminder to myself for thesis... and life in general.

The piece below is a line from the novel Para kay B, by screenwriter and author, Ricky Lee. It's the first contemporary Filipino novel I've ever bought. The line refers to the feeling of one of the heroines. She was a mother who had just discovered --- and accepted--- that she had feelings for another woman.

I'd like to experience that feeling someday... not the falling in love with a woman part, but the part that makes you feel like you've been set free, yet you'll never get lost.


The last one is something I like to tell myself whenever I have problems: that I should be resilient.


I will make more of these. I'm tempted to use all my watercolor things just for these handmade typography instead of practicing techniques and making actual paintings. But oh well.

See you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment