Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Future Backyard: the UP Bonsai Garden


04 August 2012

Gelmer and I went to the UP Bonsai Garden after going through exhausting field work for our housing class.


Rows and rows of potted plants greeted us



The garden is the work of the late bonsai guru, Mr. Mody Manglicmot. UP has been taking care of it upon his death. Even though the place is still beautiful, I can tell that it misses the loving care of its creator. After all, bonsai is an O.C. hobby, or so I've heard.

I liked the garden because it doesn't try to be a "Japanese" or "Asian" garden, just because it has bonsai. It's like the plants were placed where they were just because they looked good there. It was not pretentious at all. No trying to be zen and all that. That's how my parents did their gardening. In my opinion, the haphazardness is charmingly Filipino.


We were both haggard before the visit.


Gelmer and I debated on whether this rock looks phallic. It's erect, tall, hard, and veiny... hmmm...



One of my favorite plants there.
It's enormous!!!



Like large looming octopuses... octopi? Whatever.

I don't think the ladder was supposed to be there on purpose, but I find this setting nice.

Canopies! I love canopies.


Though still maintained, the area is a little overgrown.


Mossy mossy.

The College of Engineering is creating another weird building right next to it. Sorry, Engineering friends, but your taste is a little wack.



Gelmer and I kept losing each other. If the garden was larger, she'd get lost. :P

We have these in our pond back at home. Ah, I miss home.


I was happy to see a "Christmas Plant"

It's not actually called that, but I remember seeing one of these as a kid. I was instantly reminded of Christmas. Don't know why.


They had this nursery in a netted greenhouse

Babies!!!

I want my doorway to be draped with these someday.

They are long!

We tried to braid them. But the leaves fell off.

We laughed at this plant, because it only has one leaf.

...but a closer look says otherwise.

Baby Anthuriums make me happy.


2 comments:

  1. Dear do you have UP Bonsai Garden's contact number? I desperately need it.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should contact UP's admin instead. I don't think the garden itself has any official contact numbers.

    ReplyDelete