Friday, September 14, 2012

/Good day: Museum of the Filipino People

13 September 2012

After the fiasco earlier in the day, some friends persuaded me to go with them to the National Museum's Museum of the Filipino People. They had to go for their Anthropology class.

I've been here before, but I always like visiting. The museum is huge, and I never run out of things to see here. But I usually come for the timeless architecture. It makes me feel nostalgic and happy at the same time.




Designed by Ralph Harrington Doane, it was supposed to be a public library. Design revisions were made by Juan Arellano when the building became intended for the use of the Legislature. It was then repaired after World War II, which damaged it. In 1996, the Senate moved out of the building to make way for the National Musem [source]. 

We made a trip to the Ifugao House

Gelmer climbed up without difficulty. But she needed help climbing down.

Claire had pretty shoes on.


We sort of got lost and came into this stately hallway.
We came upon this.

We couldn't resist, of course.

Gelmer is an expert now.
More stately hallways

Eventually, these two had to get working on their homework. I just roamed around and distracted them.

Shell Midden!!!

I think replicated shell middens should be used as wall finish. Then again, that's a loooooot of shells. And it looks like a pain to maintain.

Claire was only interested in bling.

The balangay is one of my favorite exhibits in the museum. The National Museum has an exact complete replica in front. But seeing the real one, even just parts of it, still fascinates me. Seeing the ancient wood gives me goosebumps. Maybe I traveled in one of these in my past life, who knows?

Replica of their sea explorations.



Manunggul Jars!!!

In high school when I first heard that these were from Saranggani, I didn't think much of it. Then I actually SAW Saranggani... I'd like to float off its beautiful coast too after I die. 

The Ifugaos keep their mummified dead beside the steps of their houses for a period of time. I don't know if this replicates that.

I took a picture of this because I'd like to have something similar.

Of course I'd visit the T'nalak. But it made me miss home.

This is actually Donya Claire's house. 


They had this temporary exhibit of the Philippines' biodiversity. It reminded me of Maam Amparado of Bio 1. I miss her.


I'm lucky enough to have seen these babies alive in the sea.


Claire is used to show you how big these "sampalocs" are.

Fake Mahogany seeds! I once saw a bunch of these fall from a tree back in elementary school. I had a great time trying to catch them. They rotate like helicopter fins.



Another one.


We eventually got to the fifth floor. I don't think we were supposed to be there. But we didn't touch anything... Promise.




We persuaded Gelmer to take the glass elevator. She has this huge phobia of any vehicle that moves vertically. She pulled through in the end.

She even had the grace to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment