Friday, November 30, 2012

On Book Hoarding

For the first time this semester, I cut a class.

I do not condone the cutting of classes, and it's not just because I'm a good girl (seriously though, I am a good girl), but because I often milk the information from my GEs and electives, because I feel like I'm missing out on a lot if I don't attend.

But when Hazel told us of the National Book Store sale in Market Market! I had to go along.

And so Claire and I skipped Sociology for a trip to BGC with Hazel. 

And yayy! I spent 570 pesos on 7 books... and a cool calendar.

Yeheyyyy!!!
It was a lot of fun finding books that I wanted. Initially, I wanted to buy architecture books. You know, those hardbound coffee table books that most people just put in their living rooms so that their tables look pretty. Architecture (and art) students tend to hoard those, and since it was the last day of the sale, there were few left. I did not buy any novels. I wouldn't have time to read them anyway.

So I contented myself with art books and picture books. I could not resist the bargains. The 50-peso books were just awesome, and it didn't take long for me to decide which books to get.

The first book I found was Norbert Wolf's book on Romanticist painting (Php 50!!!!). I was drawn to the cover, which is a painting by C.D. Friedrich called Wanderer Watching a Sea of Fog. I hoped to see Juan Luna featured in the book, but meh. He was not. 

The cover reminds me of the BBC miniseries of Persuasion, adapted after Jane Austen's work
I also bought a book on the life and works of Piet Mondrian, whose Composition series has been replicated and imitated over and over again that I see them framed in the houses of the nouveau rich. It's difficult tell if a Mondrian is genuine. Might as well have a book about him (Php 100).

Because, Mr. Mondrian, your works are easy to imitate.
The only book on an architect that I managed to buy is one on Alvar Aalto's furnitures published by Ediciones Poligrafa (Php 50!!!!). Aalto's work reminds me of UP Diliman's 1960's buildings: seemingly dilapidated, but designed by good architects.


I bought a book on vacation homes for shits and giggles (Php 75 WTH???!!!)


I don't usually buy children's books. But a few of my friends buy them for the illustrations alone. I found this copy of King Ocean's Flute by Lucy Coats and decided to buy it (Php 50???). It's the first children's picture book that I've ever bought for myself, maybe except for Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series


The book was illustrated by the awesome Peter Malone (check his works here). His work is very colorful and happy.

Swimming with dolphins weeee!!!
I've decided to be very discriminating when it comes to picture books. It's a good way to get to know more artists like Kieth Thompson and Oanh Le.

I think my best purchase of the day is Zen Ghosts written and illustrated by Jon J. Muth, who is also a graphic artist. The illustrations are made with watercolor and ink. Aside from the art, I also loved the story, which is based on a story told by Zen Bhuddist monks. 

It doesn't hurt that Muth likes to draw pandas.
The story tells children the complicated truth of duality. You are one person when you are with your family; you are another person with your friends; and you are a different person with your special someone. I didn't get the story at first until I read the back. But the book made me ask questions. Now that, I think, is great art.


1 comment: