Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Sudden Farewell: A Heavy Heart

Taken from the Philippine Daily Inquirer

I just found out that the body of Jesse Robredo, Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government, has been found after his plane crashed just off the coast of Masbate four days ago. He and the two pilots were proclaimed missing until their bodies were found earlier today.

I'm surprised at how emotionally affected I am. After all, I don't know him personally. I didn't feel this way when Dolphy or MJ died. For the latter, it was like hearing that a friend of a friend of a friend has died. You feel sympathetic, but after a few minutes, you won't care anymore.

But the death of Sec. Robredo feels different. 

Maybe it's because I had such high hopes for him. When the President announced his appointment last year, I immediately checked him out in the web and unlike what I usually see with other politicians, I liked what I found. For me, his appointment remains one of the President's good choices (along with Mon Jimenez for Tourism, De Lima for Justice and Carpio-Morales for Ombudsman). 

Maybe it's because while death in general is melancholic, sudden death will always be horrible. The nation is now scrambling to cope with this loss, especially since our political system is filled with greed and corruption. Incorruptible politicians who have stalwart records are rare, and the Philippines has just lost one of its gems.

I don't believe in the saying "the good die young". I believe that the good die young for a reason. My mind is reeling with conspiracy theories and foul play. After all, the person who has the national police under his thumb is expected to have enemies.

I hope that the government can find a suitable replacement, someone who is impervious to the nastiness that has infected it. I also hope his death will not be for nothing, that people may realize their mortality, no matter how high up they are, and no matter how good they try to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment