Friday, August 17, 2012

Tanay

I went to Tanay, Rizal today to get some data on my site and visit the site itself.

It was a very... very... very long commute. It's one of those moments when I wish I had a car. But on the other hand, my sense of adventure and restlessness has been stuck inside the city for so long. The trip was a perfect way to break the monotony. And besides, I had Ate A with me again. I wanted to go alone, but my parents convinced me to take her along. They were right. She was very helpful, and she took the uncertainty away.

We took 4 jeepneys to get to the town. The ride lasted for about two and a half hours. But once we got out of the city, it was all rice fields and mountains and low-rise buildings. The non-urbane environment reminded us of home.

I'm so sad that I didn't get to take pictures of Tanay's town proper itself. It's a charming town. My first ever roommate, Joyce, lives there. Wala lang. :) 

We went to the Municipal Hall first, but the building is still under construction. We were directed by a guard to their temporary office at the upper level of their public market. They were so helpful. This boosts my theory that the hired government workers are way way nicer than the elected and appointed ones. Unfortunately, they didn't have all the documents I needed. Eurghasdjasdjleurgh!!!!! They were accommodating though, even if their cramped office seemed busy.

They gave us directions to go to the PAGASA Tanay Upper Air Station, which is located in a place called Sitio Mayagay in Brgy. Sampaloc.

They said it was far. I guess living in the city has skewed my perception of "far". Far for me means on the other side of the city. "Far" for them is about an hour and a half and two jeepneys away.

Sampaloc is a sleepy barangay. But once we reached Mayagay, the view was worth it.




The Upper Air Station kinda looks like an octagonal UFO with a lighthouse on top.

The station, powerhouse, and the Nuclear Research Institute's... stuff. There are only 50... stuffs... in the world according to the staff. :)
I have a soft spot for PAGASA. I hate it when people blame them for not-so-accurate weather forecasts *ahem*Mr. President*ahem*. As one of my profs said, the weather is something that not even the highest form of technology can accurately predict all the time. And since the government isn't investing in research, how is the agency supposed to keep their scientists in the agency?

And also, news about the weather is provided by the media. I don't rely on weather news anymore because they often hype up things and misinform people. I go directly to PAGASA's website.

Anyway, we roamed around the property.



Ate A wanted pictures for her Facebook. I had to oblige of course. :)
Sir Alejandro, the station chief, took us around (omgiwantyourname!!!!). He allowed us to go inside the UFO building. He eventually led us to the deck.

And what a deck it was.





I want a 360 degree viewing in the middle of the Sierra Madre too!!!

And the wind... THE WIND! After suffering the city's temperamental weather, feeling the wind on top of the mountains is just glorious.

Here's a picture of my hair flying.

Ignore the haggard face. I was just haggard.
More views!!!

I wanted to go to the hut, but there's no path... and I'm scared of snakes

Some houses near the site.

Green Roof potential???

Hello. :)
Who'd want to live here? I'd want to live here.
I wanted to hug the ball. But I did this instead.


I left the site with uplifted spirits. Even though I didn't get everything I wanted from the trip (boo topomap BOO!!!), I'm very happy with what I found. My mind is reeling with ideas that I have to hold off until the schematics phase. But there's still a lot of research to be done. Sigh. I want to draw already.

We went back to the dirty, hot, polluted city and I practically dumped myself on my bed after a long shower. I'm trying not to think of all the things I have to do. 

Such is my life at the moment.


2 comments: