Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Non-Typhoon Art

07 Aug 2012

It's been raining for two days straight here in Manila. Everyone in the city is contacting family and friends, evacuating from danger zones, watching the flood levels, doing rescue, and tracking the news online or in TV.

Classes are suspended, and we are trapped here in our house because the floods have reached our doorway and the living room floor is constantly wet. We plugged off our TV, so I get the news online or through text. I don't want to panic since our house here is relatively safe. But coming from a place where heavy rains are welcome and the worst floods barely reach the knees, it takes me more than five years to get used to typhoons.

I didn't want to study anymore (2 upcoming tests yehey) because it adds to the stress. So while tracking the news online and contacting friends to see if they're OK, I decided to draw to calm myself down.

First I tried to doing Julianna Margulies from The Good Wife (that sounds wrong). I like the show, even though I have to read the recaps just so that I can understand the legal chorva going on. I tried to copy the season 3 poster, which makes Julianna look pretty hot. Yes, she's an older woman-crush.

She looks more like Julia Roberts though. I think it's because of the lips.

I had nothing to draw on and some scratch paper was lying around (I was using it to study, but meh).


After drawing her, I realized that most of the women I try to draw are either skinny or athletic (but I try not to do skinny). So I decided to try drawing a plus-size model from this picture of Tara Lynn, who is just gorgeous.

Vavavoom! 
My drawing of Tara Lynn does not do her justice.
Drawing her made me think of my own weight issues. I do think I should lose weight for health reasons. But once I reach my normal BIM, I'd be contented (I'm overweight by a 3-5 pounds, I think). I've never been contented with my size, but I believe that the insecurity will pass as time goes by. It's either I lose the weight, and/or I gain enough confidence to totally love my body for all its flaws.

I think the rain is making me contemplative. 

Anyway, it's been more than 48 hours and the rain still hasn't stopped. But the flood in front of our house has receded (thank you, newly installed drainage pipes) and I'm not as stressed out.

I decided to transfer Tara Lynn from scratch paper to sketchpad (oh look, I still have a sketchpad!)

Fabric and Ribbon as pampa-arte.
I can find a lot of mistakes in the drawing (I erase too much). I have to improve myself... If I find the time.

Watercolor pencils... <3
I hate drawing hands...  and look at that horrible hair!!!

Anyway, it's still raining in Manila as I type this. It may be a little insensitive of me to be drawing while others are suffering out there. But I need to get a grip. Drawing seems to have stabilized me.

Plus Size. Watercolor pencil on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment