Saturday, August 11, 2012

Relief (feel) good

I don't really understand the act of posting pictures of yourself helping out.

I'm not against relief efforts. They are necessary regardless of the country's development, regardless of the type and scale of disaster.

I am also not against posting of pictures that show the relief efforts being done. It increases the nation's morale, boosts the people's pride in their countrymen, and shows donors that their donations are being put to good use. And of course there's the fact that participating in these activities is not easy and takes a lot of energy, so people who do this deserve the credit.

What I'm against is the posting of these pictures for the wrong reasons.

And I may be judged for being a hypocrite, because I haven't attended or participated in any relief effort... yet (that sleep thing in my other post, I admit that's an excuse). But I am bothered by the images online of people posing with the goods they have packed, TV stations showing off their celebrity talents helping out, and people writing about how it "feels good" to be spending their time helping out instead of "studying for that exam" or "doing this project" or "doing other things". That space in the internet may be used for other things like telling people how they can help (there can never be too much of those), or suggestions to permanently mitigate floods like what Paolo Alcazaren does on his facebook.

I feel as if these pictures are just a pat in the back for some people and advertising for others. It may sound harsh and ungrateful, but I don't need to know that you were there for twelve hours helping, or that your muscles ache because you hauled off too much stuff, or that you skipped a class or ditched your studies just to help others. It sounds like the universe better appreciate what you're doing because you're making such a huge sacrifice.

Well there are people out there who are making bigger sacrifices like the coast guard and the military who are risking their safety and scooping people up from the water, like the people in charge of the chaotic evacuation centers who are there 24/7, like the people who take the responsibility of coming up with recovery plans (if there are such people), etc.

I am not trying to say that your help is unwanted. Help is help. But for me, your help shown off by yourself decreases its value.

Am I wrong to feel like this? Am I the only one feeling like this? If I am, please feel free to tell me.

Honestly, writing this makes me guilty and irritated at the same time.

1 comment: